According to a recent Huffington Post article, eating dark chocolate with a high cocoa percentage is a part of a healthy diet. If you’ve never eaten dark chocolate or chocolate with a high cocoa percentage, you may be in for a surprise.
Dark chocolate has a very different taste than traditional milk chocolate but is packed with a number of benefits you can’t find anywhere else. In this post we highlight the top benefits of dark chocolate as shared in, “9 Reasons You Should Eat Dark Chocolate Every Single Day” by Julie Thomson.
- Dark chocolate is a natural stress reliever ― and we can all benefit by having a little less stress in our lives. Dark chocolate is found to lower the levels of stress hormones, which could very well be part of the reason you crave the stuff when feeling stressed out.
- You will also find a high cocoa content contains a good amount of soluble fiber. A 100-gram bar of 70 percent chocolate has 11 grams of fiber. Soluble fiber helps keep cholesterol down, keeps you feeling fuller longer, and is good for your digestive health.
- Eating dark chocolate is good for your brain. That’s right, daily consumption may keep your brain operating at its full potential and help ward off dementia. A four-decade long study found that people with frequent chocolate consumption performed better on brain-powered tests.
- It’s also good for your heart. Eating dark chocolate may lower your risk of cardiovascular disease. One study showed that eating chocolate five or more times a week lowered the risk of cardiovascular disease by 57 percent- a significant factor in strokes and premature death.
- How about Flavonoids we all want and need. Flavonoids are a plant-based antioxidant found in cocoa, and are one of the main reasons that dark chocolate is so good for you. These antioxidants may lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and also maintain the health of your blood vessels.
- It’s also good for your skin. Eating it can actually help protect you from sunburn thanks to the antioxidants, phenols and catechins.
- Dark chocolate just makes you happy. Tryptophan is an amino acid that’s used by the brain to make serotonin, the neurotransmitter that makes us feel happiness.
Sticking to a well-rounded eating plan and exercising regularly are essential for good health. Try not to focus on extremes but rather develop healthy habits that will ensure good health and vitality. Should you have any health related questions, be sure to contact us a Washington Wellness Center for an exam.